Navy League of the United States
Thailand Southern Seaboard Council
Phuket Navy League
About the Navy League of the United States
The Navy League is a civilian organization dedicated to informing the American people, and others, that the United States of America is a maritime nation and that its national defense and economic well-being are dependent upon strong sea services -- U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps, U.S. Coast Guard, and U.S.-flag Merchant Marine.
The Phuket Navy League was founded in September 2009 and presently:
- Sponsors a FREE annual Independence Day American picnic around the Fourth of July with American food, FREE popcorn, hamburgers, hot dogs, American beer, music, fireworks and lots of fun FREE games & Free prizes for children. For people in Phuket this is a DON'T MISS event.
- Hosts U.S. Navy ships and crew that make port of call visits to Phuket. As of November 2012 the Phuket Navy League has hosted 56 ships.
- Organizes local Community Service (COMSERVE) projects in support of local schools, orphanages, non-government organizations and hospitals.
- Work with the local Royal Thai Police, the Royal Thai Navy, several local all-foreign-volunteer police groups, all supporting the safety and well-being of our servicemen while in Phuket.
Our Thailand Southern Seaboard Council is fully registered with The Navy League of the United States (NLUS) which was founded in 1902 and is comprised of over 46,000 civilians in more than 250 councils around the world.
Membership is open to all adults of all nations whether or not they have served in the military. We welcome organizations that may benefit from having their business promoted during ship visits.
Community Service Projects involve bringing together volunteers from visiting ships with local volunteers in support of local schools, orphanages, non-government organizations and hospitals.
The October 23rd, 2012 COMSERV was the 100th COMSERV project organized by Brad Kenny and accomplished in Phuket by the US Navy. COMSERV sponsors include: The Rotary Club of Patong Beach, Glen Defense Group, Phuket Navy League, Rotary Club of Phang Nga, Lions Club of Patong Beach, International Business Association of Phuket and several other local organizations. The average budget per COMSERV project is 12,000 Baht, so total input into charity projects by the U.S. Navy and their sponsors has been over 1.2 million Baht (approximately USD $40,000). Average volunteers per project is 25, so the total U.S. Navy & Marine volunteers doing community service projects in Phuket has been about 25,000.
Some of the Derived Benefits for being a Navy League Phuket (NLP) Member include
- NLP members and their families are given the opportunity to join in our special event offers to the crews of visiting ships. These events can include BBQs, kegs of beer, cocktails or some special activity.
- NLP Members and their families are invited to participate in Special Ship Tours aboard visiting ships.
- NLP members and their families are invited to limited attendance functions with Ship Officers.
- NLP members receive a monthly issue of SEAPOWER Magazine.
- Our NLP embers are invited, encouraged and needed to become actively involved in one or more areas of support. Contact us to see where you can help.
- NLP Individual Membership is currently 2,000 baht / 12-month subscription. Contact us to arrange a meeting to complete the application information.