Phuket Provincial Land Transport Office Government Driving Licenses Information Phuket Thailand
Phuket Provincial Land Transportation Office provides vehicle registration and driver licenses for local people and foreigners living in Thailand.
On the property there are 4 major zones. Entering the property on the left is the motorcycle registration building. The car registration building on the right and the license test center is in a building behind the car registration building. The driver testing ground in the center area to the rear.
The Land Transportation facility is located next to Phuket Polytechnic College in Phuket Town.
About Obtaining a Thai Driver License
Once you have been in Thailand for a period beyond 3 months, you will need a Thai driving license, even though valid national drivers licenses are legally accepted, especially with an International Driving Permit. Several insurance companies state that the driver should hold a valid Thai driving licence to be fully covered.
A Thai driver's license is often accepted as type of proof that the holder is not a tourist, and sometimes also make police slightly more lenient towards the fact that expats might not carry their passport at all times.
Applicants for a Thai (international) drivers license need to meet the following requirements:
- Being of sound mind and good health (not having physical or mental handicap(s) that will prevent them from operating a vehicle safely) - being at least 18 years of age
- If the applicant is not Thai national, the applicant must hold a valid Non-Immigrant Visa (tourists can not apply).
What you will need when applying for your Thai drivers license:
- All paperwork is submitted separately for a car license and a motorbike license and also written tests must be taken for car and motorbike bike, but not on the same day.
- Valid Passport with Valid Non-immigrant Visa
- Signed copies of the passport's first page, the page with the current non-immigrant visa, the page with the last entry stamp and the TM-card.
- Present original and one copy of certified Resident Report of Address. Resident registration documents are available at Phuket Immigration and will involve House Registration Papers. One copy required per car and motorbike license.
- If you are working in Thailand: the blue workbook, better known as your work permit, can replace either of these documents and serve as address verification!
- A doctor's certificate stating that the applicant is in good health, both physically and mentally (standard forms are available from most clinics and should not be more than 30 days old)
- Valid international driver's license plus signed photocopy or translated regular driving license from the applicant's home country, certified by Embassy or consulate. (if available).
- Note that 1 set of these documents is required for each licence application (car / motorbike). However, when applying for both a car and a motorcycle license, an extra copy of the doctor's certificate and the letter of address will suffice for the second application.
- Arrive at the license test center early, by 8 AM it is already filled with applicants.
- Present your documents for inspection.
- You will be required to watch a video for several hours. Within the video are subtitles that form the questions on the computer (written) test.
- Following the video you will take a multiple choice computerized examination covering basic driving laws and road safety rules.
- You will be tested for color blindness, depth perception, gross peripheral vision and break pedal reaction speed.
- Having passed all tests you will pay your license fee and wait for your photograph to be taken and your license printed.
|Application and Training
||Check and inspect all documents, eye test. If you can not come in time, you can give the application from to the officer and come back on the next day for training.
||Driving license training. Four hours new license, Two hours renewing license.
||Written test and written test results
||Practical driving test
|Note: Your first Driving License is considered a Temporary Driving License. This is for car and motorbike. The license is valid for 2 years.
Renewing a Driver License is for a 5-year period.
Driving License Renewing
When you are issued a driving license please note that there is an expiration date. Please come to renew your driving license on or before the expired date, but not later than the expire date. Renewing from a 2-year license to a 5-year license can be done after one year.
You can also renew after the expired date, but not later than 1 year; otherwise, you have to take tests same as for a new driving license.
For a Lost Driving license
To replace your lost license please bring with you
- Police report of loss (required). This must be made at the police station closest to where lost your license or, if you don't know where go to the station closest to where you live.
- Passport (and 1 signed copy of ID page)
- One signed copy of Visa page in passport